7 Habits Post-Its

My school has been a Leader in Me school for several years now.  If you don't know much about Covey's Seven Habits of Happy Kids, you should check it out!  http://www.theleaderinme.org/

Some years I've done better than other years at really working hard to teach the habits, and this year I am at my wit's end-my class can recite the habits, explain the habits, but don't actually integrate them into their daily lives!  So last week I introduced our "post-it" chart.  I am starting back with Habit #1: Be Proactive.  Each time I observe a student demonstrating this habit, I write down what they were doing on a post-it and they get to put it by their name.  It's a huge deal when someone gets a post-it, everyone claps and congratulations the students.  Once everyone has a post-it, we will have a celebration and will put the post-its in each student's data folder.  I plan on having them write about more ways they can demonstrate that habit at school and home under the post-it.

I'm really hoping this helps my class integrate the habits into their lives! :)  What do you do for character education in your building?

3 comments

  1. As I have noticed students usually get the habits their teachers have. It is not surprising, as they are looking at this person every day and think that it is model just like mom and dad. It is not bad but it is also a great responsibility. So, I am not surprised why my elder daughter gets uk essay writing online while teacher just quotes from websites. Speaking about little kids, they just copy the behavior and the manner. However, some teachers are still surprised why their students are so unorganized while they have a total mess on their own desk.

    ReplyDelete