Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Composing 2-D Shapes

My favorite math unit is geometry!  I'm sure it's because it was always my strongest area of math.  When Common Core first came out, I was challenged to think of ways to teach 1.G.2 : Compose two-dimensional shapes (rectangles, squares, trapezoids, triangles, half-circles, and quarter-circles) or three-dimensional shapes (cubes, right rectangular prisms, right circular cones, and right circular cylinders) to create a composite shape, and compose new shapes from the composite shape.
 
But then I realized that one of my student's favorite free time activities each year is to sit and make designs with my tub of pattern blocks--so why not just harness that creativity and give it a little direction?  I made some task cards for composing 2-D shapes.  My students are obsessed with these!
 




 
I also did a few rich math problems where I asked students to use pattern blocks to experiment and then record as many ways to make a hexagon (triangle, rhombus, etc) that they could figure out  The rich learning conversations going on in the classroom were amazing.
 
Click on the picture to grab your own set of task cards for only $2!
 
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Composing-2-D-Shapes-Task-Cards-1084150

No comments:

Post a Comment